SAS has free software which you can download for free and start learning. Free download of SAS is available for everyone and anyone can download and install it on their computer.
It’s a full version which can run on your computer locally. Internet connectivity is not required to run SAS Studio.
In this article, I will show you a step-by-step process on how you can download and install SAS Studio.
System requirements for free download of SAS
Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10
Mac OS X 10.8 or later with
Linux operating system
List of Steps to Downaload and Install SAS Studio
First, step is to download and install Oracle Virtual Box software on your computer. Click on the below link to download Oracle Virtualbox. Click on platform package depending on your Operating System.
Download SAS® University Edition
Click the Get SAS University Edition button below. Sign Up for a SAS Profile, or sign in if you have existing SAS profile.
Once you have signed in, you will see the SAS University Edition License Agreement. Read the agreement, check the Terms and Conditions box, and click the Continue button.
For configuring SAS Studio for the first time follow the below steps.
On your local computer create a folder called SASUniversityEdition and a subfolder called myfolders. All your SAS files will be saved in this location.
- Import SAS University Edition into VirtualBox.
- Launch VirtualBox, and then select File > Import Appliance.
- In the Import Virtual Appliance window, click
- From the Downloads directory, select the SAS University Edition vApp (an OVA file), and click Open.
- Click on Next, and then click Import. Importing SAS OVA file may take around 2 minutes.
- Share your myfolders folder with VirtualBox
- In VirtualBox, select the SAS University Edition vApp, and then select Machine > Settings
- In the navigation pane of the Settings window, select Shared Folders, and then click .
- In the Add Share window, select Other as the folder path.
- In the Select Folder window, open the SASUniversityEdition folder and select the
myfolders subfolder. Click Select Folder (or Choose or Open, depending on your operating system).
- In the Add Share window, confirm that Read-only is not selected, and then select the Auto-mount and Click OK.
Launch SAS University Edition
Now, SAS Studio installation is compete. Follow the steps below to launch SAS University edition and run SAS Studio.
- In VirtualBox, select the SAS University Edition vApp, and then select Machine > Start. It might take a few minutes for the virtual machine to start.
- After the virtual machine is loaded, you will see the virtual machine window below:
- In a web browser on your local computer, enter http://localhost:10080.
- From the SAS University Edition: Information Center, click Start SAS Studio.
- SAS Studio will be started and you can start practising. You can save all your SAS files in the shared myfolders folder created earlier.
That’s it!. If you want to run SAS from cloud refer to the article below.